Home | Programmes | NDCPS | NIDDCP
NIDDCP (National Iodine Deficiency Disorders Control Programme )
Formerly known as, "National Goitre Programme (NGCP)"
Iodine is an essential micro nutrient. It is required at 100-150 micrograms daily for normal human growth and development. The disorders caused due to deficiency of nutritional iodine in the food/diet are called iodine deficiency disorders (IDDs).
Iodine Deficiency Disorders are a worldwide major public health problem. These affect a large segment of populations in all continents of our planet and have been with us from generation. As per information available, more than 1.5 billion people all over the world are at risk of IDD.
The important objectives and components of National Iodine Deficiency Disorders Control Iodine Deficiency Disorders Control Programme (NIDDCP) are as follows:-
- Surveys to assess the magnitude of the Iodine Deficiency Disorders.
- Supply of iodated salt in place of common salt.
- Resurvey after every 5 years to assess the extent of Iodine Deficiency Disorders and the impact of lodated salt.
- Laboratory monitoring of iodated salt and urinary iodine excretion.
- Health education & Publicity.